The Multimedia Question

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Jul 18 23:03:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 18:39 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 00:36 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> > Yum mind you also installs proprietary software, should we make that
> > work only on Fedora approved software as well?
>
> The difference here is that we're not enabling yum to point to repos of
> proprietary software out of the box.
>
> We'd be doing that with codec buddy, if we linked to proprietary Fluendo
> bits. I've got no problem with codec buddy saying:
>
> I'm sorry! You just tried to play a .WMV file. There are currently no
> known free software implementations for Microsoft Evil Evil Codec.

Here's where I'm confused about codec buddy. What was described to us at
the board meeting at fudcon back in the beginning of this year was this:

1. people encounter an unknown format
2. a box pops up to tell them they can go to this link to learn more
about this
3. that link would be fedoraproject.org/codec_info_is_us or something
like that
4. the content we would control. We could offer a link to the fluendo
codecs if we wanted to - but it would not necessarily have to be the
only thing. and most importantly we could tell the user why the codec
they're fighting with is evil, etc, etc.

When did codecbuddy change to ONLY point to fluendo and do nothing else?

I'm positive there was an education component to codec buddy - but it
doesn't seem like it is there now.

-sv