The Multimedia Question

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 19 21:29:45 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:

> that's the issue - we can tell them how to add repos, sure.
> but we can't say which repos to add
> and if there are repos that are full of free and legally-unencumbered
> software then the question becomes why aren't they in fedora?

They could be in Fedora but the legality of such software is region
specific. If we want to maintain those packages in specific regions as
part of Fedora and that is considered legally safe, we could do that
instead. In fact I think that's better than a third party repository
solution because we would be using the similar infrastructure and
guarantee things more because we are in control.

The reason why I suggested pulling packages from a third party
repository just for the codec buddy case is that it would be relatively
easier to get that done before Fedora 8 (I think)

Rahul