The Multimedia Question

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 03:30:33 UTC 2007

Max Spevack wrote:

> 6) Acknowledge that just because something is illegal in the US, it
> isn't illegal everywhere in the world.  Help people use Fedora, remix
> Fedora, and redistribute Fedora, in ways that are Legal for them and
> acceptable to Red Hat as the legal entity that controls Fedora.

Interesting and relevant:/

"In this article, Adrian Kingsley-Hughes points out why he keeps giving
money to Microsoft and Apple despite the clear advantages of Linux: the
scary legalese dialogs you have to click through
<http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3689726> to install
codecs for common multimedia formats. Quoting: 'Despite strong points
that go far beyond price, Linux falls short when it comes to legally
supporting file formats such as MP3, WMA/WMV and DVDs.' He talks about
using Ubuntu and booting up Totem Movie Player, only to be confronted
with a burst of legalese about what a hardened criminal he'll be if he
uses Totem without a license. This problem is 'a deal breaker' for him."/

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/07/19/1527247.shtml

Thought I'd mention it (even though many have probably already seen it)

    -Mike