The Multimedia Question

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 14:41:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:25:55 -0400
"Elliot Lee" <sopwith at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also wondering whether a separate "codec buddy" is really needed,
> or if a better alternative would be using rpm Provides: to indicate
> the MIME types that a particular package can encode/decode. E.g.
> 'Provides: gstreamer-decoder(video/flc)'. Then just make it easy for
> people to add repositories, and integrate totem with the the package
> management GUI for satisfying codec requirements. That way the people
> who want to use non-free stuff can just add a repository (like they
> already do) and it's not necessary to write an entirely new tool to
> solve the problem.

The crux is that repo discovery is difficult, and while we can't
legally lead them to a questionable repo, we can legally lead them to a
place like Fluendo where they can legally purchase or obtain the
software necessary to play their content.  The question has become can
we live with ourselves if we take this legal path.  It's been easy for
us to hide behind the legal block and punt all questions of morals.
Getting all of us to agree upon something being illegal doesn't take
much.  Getting all of us to agree upon something being morally "OK" for
the Fedora project to do is a /much/ harder task.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora