Target market?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 17:35:58 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 15:02 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> One, simple question that may not have an answer.
>

> What is our target market supposed to be?

So, the discussion has been interesting so far ...

One question I have in mind is, can we really decide this, on this list,
for all of contributors?

My suggestion is:

* Bring this discussion to a list of suggestions; write Wiki content
that explains how they potentially interact.

* Create a poll using the FAS voting mechanism; arrange a vote for "What
kind of Linux is Fedora?"

* Start with the top choice as the one to implement, work down the stack
of choices-by-vote and see if the 2 to 3 other top vote receivers can be
folded into the main choice in a sane way.

Before we do that, maybe we need a few weeks of active discussion on the
various lists, on planet.fp.o, etc.  Then we open the polling.

All along the way, there has to be an agreement that if an impossible
combination is voted in, we'll have to seek the next-down-the-list
compromise.

Otherwise, to be honest, wtf are we to decide what Fedora's target
market and raison d'être should be?  I feel qualified to debate and
recommend, I feel qualified to sway other's opinions, but I'm just not
sure any of us are qualified to decide for the entire distro.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project