Was it a failure to not do Fedora 7 CD's

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jun 5 19:02:56 UTC 2007

On 05.06.2007 20:47, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> from looking at the F7-feedback I saw on the lists, in reviews, in blogs
>> and in other places I more and more think it was a failure to not do a
>> CD version of the "Fedora" spins.
>>
>> Seems people are quite unhappy; the two main reasons afaics are:
>>
>> * people did not realize yet to use the Live-CD for installs
>>
>> * updates from FC6 to F7 are not possible with Live-CDs; thus people
>> that don't own a DVD reader can only update via network based installs,
>> with is not that well known (is that documented somewhere probably),
>> error-pone and require a internet router (which not everybody owns; I
>> for example would not be able to update by home server, because that's
>> my internet router (via PPPoe and a DSL-Modem) and it has only a CD
>> reader (sure, I did a yum update ;-) ))
>
> I think the "right" way to solve the problems are
>   * Enable "live" upgrades to be done better

You mean with yum? Or with Live-CDs?

I assume the further; gets a "+1" from me.

>   * Get yum-presto up and running by default

Well, I'm not sure it's a big help for dist-upgrades. Where to create
the binary-data-diff from? From F(relase-1) or F((relase-1)+updates at
relase time)?

>   * Look into integrating jidgo.

Well, where is the benefit as long as we don't ship Fedora spin CD's?

> Even if we provide people CD versions of the "Fedora" spins they don't
> contain all the packages and some people are bound to be unhappy with that.

That's the same problem with the Fedora DVD Spin as long as we don't
ship a Everything Spin (and is one more reasons for a kind of internet
yum update with some magic around it)

CU
knurd