Was it a failure to not do Fedora 7 CD's

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 19:52:24 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 05.06.2007 20:47, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>>   * Enable "live" upgrades to be done better
>>
>> You mean with yum? Or with Live-CDs?
>>
>> I assume the further; gets a "+1" from me.
>
> Either or both. There is ongoing discussion about mashing up Anaconda as
> a step in between, hook it up with Pup and do something close to a live
> upgrade. One way or the other easy we should make this process more easy.
>
>>>   * Get yum-presto up and running by default
>>
>> Well, I'm not sure it's a big help for dist-upgrades. Where to create
>> the binary-data-diff from? From F(relase-1) or F((relase-1)+updates at
>> relase time)?
>
> I haven't thought about this much yet. Just something to consider.
>
>>>   * Look into integrating jidgo.
>>
>> Well, where is the benefit as long as we don't ship Fedora spin CD's?
>
> One reason we don't provide CD's is because mirrors will push back. If
> jidgo is integrated we can start providing CD's I think but I don't feel
> adding more and more variants to the default Fedora release is a good
> thing and hence live upgrades are a much better solution both for us and
> our end users.
>
> Rahul

I apologize for posting here. I don't really belong as anything more than a
'lurker'.

Rahul and many others - I have see you try to help with the same question(s)
/ problem(s) since the rush by users to blindly try to upgrade / install
Fedora 7.

No one, it appears, reads the release notes.

No one, it appears, reads the installation guide / suggestions / known
problems - solutions.

Not many actually follow the fedora-user list. Obvious from the repeated
questions.

My first Linus was, I think Redhat 5.2. Whatever it was that came with
"Linus for Dummies".  ;-)

Then you had to read docs, manuals, edit configuration files with text
editors, modems did not auto-dial on demand, printers were not
auto-configured, or video, or much of anything.

You all have done wonders with Fedora and Linux in general to make it usable
for Mr / Ms Average User. But in 'dummying' it down you now have a general
user base that does not really have any idea of what they are doing. How to
do other things more than a basic install. Or how to fix things that they
break. If there is no GUI with check boxes they are lost. But they do get to
puff out their chest and say I use Linux!!  ;-)

I think you have  done a fine job.

I'll just slip back into lurker mode now.

--

  David