rawhide and Fedora QA [was Re: why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jun 10 10:01:45 UTC 2007

On 10.06.2007 05:47, Luis Villa wrote:
> [...]
> What is up with that? I ask here because it could be a web or
> marketing team problem (page exists, but needs SEO love) or because it
> could be a QA team problem (page forgotten about?[2] page not deemed
> to be required?)

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Testing is afaik the page, but I'm not
sure if there isn't a better page either.

Further: Besides the documentation problems is mainly a self made
problem afaics, because we IMHO heavily discourage people to run
rawhide. Some of the reasons for this opinion:

- we tell everyone rawhide can eat baby's.

- we even tell people they can't upgrade from test releases to final

Even I run rawhide only between test2/test3 and final. From the top of
my head I'd suggest this to solve the problems:

- better documentation for running rawhide

- I for one would run rawhide on my main machines if it would be a bit
less known to eat baby's. Maybe we could do that with a trick: maintain
a second rawhide tree that only once a week (or all two weeks?) gets
synced with the normal rawhide tree (files get hardlinked to save mirror
space) when there are no known "baby eating things" and no "switch from
python 2.(x) to 2.(x+1) in the work"

- make it *easy* for people to update from the last test release to
final and tell people that that's possible; then maybe more people would
run test releases

CU
thl