rawhide and Fedora QA [was Re: why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM]

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 16:50:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 07:29 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> I agree this would be quite invasive, but the documenation can be
> rawhide'd (rawhidden? ;)
>
> For example the yum config files could look like
>
> [rawhide]
> name=Fedora - Development (rawhide)
> mirrorlist=...

+1

> And any mention to the development repos could be replaced by
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RawHide which would be the renamed and
> redirected /Development pages.

Can we make it wiki/Rawhide?  I hate UnNecessary CamelCase. :)

> This would make a better association of the /development/... paths and
> the name rawhide.

Yes, let's just make it clear -- "rawhide is the permanent codename for
wherever the development branch is".

If you go into a CVS module, you'll find foo/FC-6, foo/F7, and
foo/devel.  You won't find foo/Zod, foo/Moonshine, and foo/rawhide.

> All assuming we want to get the name "rawhide" back to its former
> glory, because - as said - FC1 was trying to phase it out for whatever
> reason (maybe someone back then thought that RHEL's internal
> development tree would keep that name?).

I don't know, but I always thought it was (ironically) about
demystifying the development tree.  It may have been "rebranding", not
sure.

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project