rawhide and Fedora QA [was Re: why I'm using Ubuntu instead of Fedora ATM]

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Tue Jun 12 18:28:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:30:16AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 11 June 2007 23:43:00 John Poelstra wrote:
> > I'm guessing changing the name of the "development" repo to "rawhide"
> > could cause more confusion at the mirrors and in /etc/yum.repos.d/. ?How
> > big of problem is this and are there any big reasons not to change
> > "development" to "rawhide"? ?Worth targeting for F8?
>
> I'm fine with changing our public marketing of this repo to be 'rawhide'  Or
> codenamed 'rawhide'.  The directory can stay development/ as the users rarely
> have to worry about what the directory is, so long as the mirror list returns
> correctly or the commented out baseurl functions.

The mirrorlist already uses the name 'rawhide', and I've updated the
publiclist mirror pages to say 'rawhide'.  So, it's just a matter of
changing the fedora-development.repo file to say [rawhide] instead of [development].

[development]
name=Fedora - Development
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=rawhide&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=0

We'll have another reason to change the fedora-release package
soonish, to enable failovermethod=priority on the mirrorlist results,
as soon as a couple changes land in python-GeoIP and mirrormanager.
It would make sense to roll this rename into that update so as to not
churn too many times.

-Matt