governance, fesco, board, etc.

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jun 13 04:50:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 14:12 -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> > And finally: Who do you think was making pressure to finally do the
> > merger? Yes, it was the community and Red Hat opened up all old Core
> > structures to make it more community-like. And attacking Red Hat for
> > doing that seems bizarre.
>
> Thank you for this point, Axel.
>
> Fedora as a whole is MORE OPEN today than it was, say, when Fedora Core
> 5 came out.  I don't really see how anyone can claim otherwise with a
> straight face.
Reality check - What has changed with the merger?

* Before: Core packages were maintained by @RH
  Now: With very few exceptions, Core packages are maintained by @RH
* Before: FE was open, everybody could fix other packages.
  Now: ACLs are in effect.
* Before: Fedora consisted of free-OSS packages.
  Now: Non-free packages have been introduced.
* Before: Fedora was controlled by FAB and FESCO
  Now: Fedora is still controlled by FAB and FESCO.
* Before: Core+Extras was released by RH's rel-eng
  Now: Core+Extras was released by a rel-eng.
* Before: FE had a functional work-flow, functional simple reviews,
  functional bugzilla, some bureaucracy, non-functional QA.
  Now: koji, bodhi, flagged-reviews, broken bugzilla, more bureaucracy,
  still non-functional QA.

All in all, from a community contributor's view it's basically the same
as before.

> And whether you realize it or not, a lot of the "behind the scenes"
> stuff that you didn't see was a lot of the "evil @redhat.com folks" like
> Jesse, Jeremy, Bill, Greg, and me explaining to various other levels of
> management within Red Hat why it was important to merge everything, why
> it was important to have a "free" build system and compose tool, etc.
> Of course the overall drumbeat was coming from the community, but that
> community goal had strong advocates within Red Hat who were willing to
> use all of their "political capital" to GET THE RIGHT THING DONE.
Nobody denies this - but ... trivial as it might sound, RH had initiated
Fedora, so non-RH folks take it for granted that RH wanted and still
wants Fedora.

> If "Red Hat hated Fedora"
I don't think I ever said this. It's certain @RH's peoples attitude.

Ralf