Lessons Learned

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 19:28:48 UTC 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> So to learn this.. make sure you have a strong leadership that the
> population feels they have needed checks on. How you accomplish this
> (bi-cameral parliament, king for the year, etc) is up to the FAB to
> decide.

Without hijacking the thread completely, I will say that IMHO we do this
pretty well.

FPB makes the "hard calls" and delegates some of that down to other
committees, which themselves have leaders -- FAB provides the oversight
and checks and kicks in the ass.  Community at large has no fear of
complaining when it sees things it doesn't like.

Could I see Fedora being even less centralized than it is and still having
reasonably-paced decision making?  Not really.

Could I see Fedora being more centralized in its decision making?  I
suppose, but I don't know that it *needs* to be.  I think the level of
governance is more or less right as it is.  We try to let the smartest
people who are qualified to make the decisions do so.

Especially once some of the questions in today's other main thread (FESCO,
Packaging, EPEL) are sorted out.

And the FPB is set to rotate about 50% of its seats following F7, which
also brings in some fresh leadership and puts current "strong leaders"
back into the community, where I'm sure they will continue to lead.

My .02

--
Max Spevack
+ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MaxSpevack