Lessons Learned

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 22 09:27:00 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 22.03.2007 09:30, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> Moving quite a lot of important pages IMHO is no "a simple page rename".

Maybe it wasnt but FESCo is not setup to manage web pages nor should it
be. I along with others like Patrick Barnes and Thomas Chung have been
doing it and I have been doing it more than anyone else by far. If
anyone in FESCo has a problem with the page move let me know.

  > Those three lines from me above were not a description of what you did.
> They were meant to outline the problems such a approach afaics can have .

Since I did not just going around changing webpages all of a sudden the
problems from such a approach has no bearing on what I did.

>> I dont think go to
>> FESCo is the right answer here at all.
>
> I strongly think it would have been.

Since you are no longer in FESCo the right thing to do is to make sure
FESCo shares that opinion and define its scope to include managing web
content. I will then stay off the web pages and FESCo can be micro
managing that.

> Sure, in an ideal world it would make no difference. But it is a
> difference. I think as a Red Hat employee you need to be a bit more
> extra careful. Fedora has the fame of being Red Hat controlled, and that
> IMHO what many people fear. So we IMHO need to work a bit against that
> to show "Okay, Red Hat has control over the Fedora Board, but the Red
> Hat employees these days just act like any good community citizen would
> do and go through the committees that were set in place to give the
> community some control over Fedora".

I have been involved in Fedora for a long time and before I have been in
Red Hat. I am not going to go down to somehow demonstrate community
involvement in a artificial way just because I work for Red Hat now. IO
have been doing that in ways far more meaningful than this. Red Hat
hasn't controlled the Fedora Board in anyway so far and I dont think it
will either.

Unless FESCo wants to get involved and want me to go through them on
things like wiki pages I see no point in continuing this discussion
based on your opinions.

Rahul