GPL and storage requirements

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Mar 24 16:49:35 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 10:16:16AM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Matt Domsch recently posted this to the Fedora Infrastructure List:
>
> Everything (Core + Extras, FC 1 through 6, 7test[12], development,
> updates, repodata): 492GB
> FC1: 21.5GB
> FC2: 35.5GB
> FC3: 33.1GB
> FC4: 52.4GB
> FC5: 69.6GB
> FC6: 77.5GB
> development: 50.8GB
>
> FC+E6/i386: 22.6GB
> FC+E6/ppc: 23.5GB
> FC+E6/x86_64: 24.4GB
> FC+E6/source: 5.1GB
>
> FC6test2: 26.8GB
>
> so we're already expecting mirrors to carry ~25GB per arch per release
> or thereabouts.
>
> If we continue with 3 arches, 2 releases per year, that's at least 150GB
> per year growth.  If we add arches, Unity respins, more CD/DVD objects,
> and the like, it'll grow faster.
>
> =============================
>
> My question is, who knows the finer details of what the GPL requires us
> to keep?

The question is what is your favourite nuke target? Whole distros
including binaries and sources or sources only? In theory you can nuke
the sources and place a note that you will be sending out DVD copies
to whomever asks for it, but that's probably not what you want :)

How about moving EOL'd (or EOL'd + DeltaT, where DeltaT is something
like 0.5 or one year) distros out of downloads.... and into
archives.... similar to the RHL releases?  You keep the bits around
indefinitely w/o heavying the mirrors. GPL and IT archeologists are
happy and mirrors are happy, too.

Or you trust Moore's law that is exponential mirror capacity increase
compared to Fedora's linear :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net