What do we think of this?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 14:53:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 10:47 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 10:32 -0400, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/03/where_fedora_went_wrong.html
> >
> > Michael Schwendt has made a spirited and passionate response (thanks,
> > Michael) to Caitlyn's comments.
> >
> > Is there any substance to these comments?

Honestly, I think all of these comments come from one pivotal issue:

Fedora won't break US law.

Debian will. Ubuntu will. SuSE will. Gentoo will.

Thus, there is no need for "extra" repositories to arise for these Linux
distributions. And the average user wants to have software that breaks
the law (mp3, dvd, etc). So they have to go outside the safety zone that
is the distribution for Fedora, and here there be dragons.

This problem sucks. It has always sucked. We're playing by the rules,
where no one else is, and we're getting punished for it, while they
prosper.

The rules (US law) are broken. I just have no idea how to fix it in my
lifetime, much less in the period of relevance for Fedora.

~spot