LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed May 2 16:44:02 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

 >> > Which is and has always been incompatible with the stated
 >> > goals of the Fedora project.
 >>
 >> It may be worth pointing out here that Fedora currently only includes
 >> objectives/packaging-guidelines to be opensource/redistributable, not
 >> necessarily (100%) free,
 >
 > This sentence of yours doesn't match with current practices:
 > The goal of The Fedora Project is to work with the Linux community to
 > build a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from
 > open source software.

I fail to see any mismatch: I said opensource, the "goal" says
opensource.  Unless you're trying to extend this goal to firmware, but
we'd already (hopefully) established clearly that this is an *exception*.

 > => The firmware packages do not fall under this definition.

Right, since *firm*ware != *soft*ware and was the point of my "doesn't
run on host-cpu" qualifier.  The rest I pretty much agree with, and
certainly in a perfect world we'd all love 100% opensource firmware too.

-- Rex