codec buddy pain

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Nov 5 15:20:02 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 15:14 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/256974/
>
> Btw - in the interview they mention further integration of the webstore
> into codeina/codecbuddy. If it starts looking like we're pushing closed
> source software then that, imo, is when codeina gets dumped out of the
> distribution.

Agreed; we should not be shipping a shill.

> I don't care about needles and I don't want to ween the addicts off.

People who build their houses on the top of the hill so the addicts in
the valley don't steal from them are just delaying the inevitable.

We can remove ourselves from the problem entirely, but it doesn't make
the problem go away, and it doesn't stop it from growing larger (again)
to engulf us.

I feel we've been sticking our heads in the sand long enough.  Even if
CodecBuddy falls flat on its face, at least it falls forward and causes
some movement.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.