codec buddy pain

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 6 04:37:36 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 19:27 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> This is a really interesting discussion in that it begs the question of
> why we have an advisory board or a Fedora Project Board.  If we could
> codify every decision point, we could just write them in the wiki and
> dissolve at least the actual authority group (FPB).  Sometimes the
> reason "because it makes me break out in hives" is an OK answer.

My concern is just about looking inconsistent or hypocritical.
Inconsistencies cause problems when trying to enforce decisions.

> What exactly are we afraid will happen if less virtuous company XYZ
> approaches us in the fashion described above, with some offer that
> really does make us break out in hives?  (I know that anything with any
> currency symbol involved makes Seth break out in hives.  I understand.)
> Is anyone worried that everyone on this list, or on the Board, will
> suddenly have their eyeballs turn into big cartoon dollar signs, and
> forget any semblance of FOSS ethics?  Are people who are likely to do
> that also likely to be in a Fedora leadership position?

No, I'm more afraid of us not being able to form a cogent argument for
why not. Especially not if internal Red Hat interest come into play. If
someone is interested in shareholder value and says "but you've done it
before in codeina, so why not do it now for brand-x?"

This is the opposite of the slippery-slope - it's the foothold for
making fedora something we may not end up liking.

-sv