Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 13:16:20 UTC 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:07:09 -0800
John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:

> === Source Code ===
>   * Long term storage and availability of source code
>   * ability to match source code to any released package--store for
> four years
>   * create source on the fly so that space is not a concern
>   * One approach would be to change the way we tag things or to
> disable forced tagging
>   * Area of interest for Matt, Jef, Chris A

I have to say that I'm still pretty against any strategy that has us or
any of our downstreams relying upon us for a GPLv2 3b or 3c
distribution method.  I feel that the methods described are entirely
too vague and too easily misinterpreted and could easily drive Fedora
into a "trap" of never being able to retire sources at all.

Instead I'd far rather investigate methods to make it easier and
lighter weight for us and downstreams to continue using 3a methods and
offering the source along side the binary, so that when we retire the
binary we can retire the source.  Making clever use of hardlinks,
offering more things like spins.fp.o for not just Fedora branded spins
but for any branded Fedora based spin, adding source gathering
capabilities to the likes of our live image creators so that a limited
number of source isos can be used at events where binary isos are
given, etc...  I strongly feel we can make it easy enough to use 3a
that we don't have to fall into a trap with 3b/c.

--
Jesse Keating