Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 14:07:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:02:40 +0100
Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:

> Personally I am opposed to trying to find clever ways to not needing
> to host the source (rpms). Finding ways to do anything different from
> *just making the sources available online* for a period of time is
> asking for trouble; It should work, but what if it doesn't -or fails
> half-way? How does investing in a couple of discs weigh (each
> release?) against the potential legal liability of losing anything
> because in the past you thought you needed some 'clever way' to make
> sources available.
>
> I can't really understand though how anyone could be opposed to the
> Fedora Project releasing under 3b.

Forgive my use of "clever".  I meant making use of hardlinks so that
keeping the sources for each available binary release online less of a
problem.  I also want to avoid the "clever" idea of regenerating srpms
on the fly.  I just want them available, but I want them available just
for the period of time the binary release is available, so that when
the binary release is retired, so can any sources associated with it,
that aren't used by a different binary release.  I'm more than happy
with the Fedora project taking on that resource, but I want it done in
a way that has a reasonable end in sight, not an infinite trap.

--
Jesse Keating