Fedora Board Recap 2007-NOV-13

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Nov 21 21:54:15 UTC 2007

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:49:07 +0100
> Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
>
>> Josh Boyer wrote:
>>> I think that is a dangerous statement to make.  If you are distributing
>>> binaries of GPL'd work, you should care about GPL-compliance.  Making
>>> an assumption that it is handled by someone else is putting their head
>>> in the sand.
>>>
>>> If Fedora is covering it for them, and they know that, great.  If it
>>> isn't, or something changes, they should be prepared to get themselves
>>> back into compliance one way or another.
>>>
>>> I understand your point, but you need to be careful with how you state
>>> your goal.
>>>
>> When pulled out of context, it doesn't make a very good quote. The
>> entire /thread/ is about how I want FP to carry the burden and how the
>> individual or small project to be able to rely upon that.
>
> It's not out of context.
>
> Even if you accomplish your goal in getting Fedora to carry the burden
> _now_, that doesn't mean it can't change again in the future.  GPL
> compliance is not something you figure out once and call it good,
> because things change and downstreams would have to adapt to that.
>
> josh

Luckily for the Fedora Project though hosting the sources for a given
time frame under GPLv2 3b _now_ does not include the responsibility of
downstream's adaption to changes _later_, while in Jesse's proposal
things end up so tight every change upstream means a change downstream
and vice-versa.

-Jeroen