Topics in need of RH Legal

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 14 04:49:27 UTC 2007

Max Spevack wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have a meeting set up with our legal folks on Monday at 10:00 AM,
> which is a good time to present the biggest issues that we need Red
> Hat's advice and/or legal recommendation on.
>
> They will provide me with as many answers as possible, and research any
> of the topics that are complicated enough as to not be obvious.
>
> So let's use this thread to make a list.  I recommend that we try to not
> only enumerate the topics, but also try to do it in ways that present
> yes or no questions, because that often tends to be the best way to
> handle the very complicated technical topics that come up.
>
> (1) There are some GPL v3 issues floating around.  Remind me
> specifically what they are.
>
> (2) The trademark guidelines around Custom Spins.  We are sort of
> already doing this, but it would be useful to just clear it.
>
> 1.  Official Fedora Spins.  These are blessed by the Fedora Board.  It
> is also totally reasonable for Fedora Release Engineering or Fedora
> Engineering Steering Committee to say "hey Fedora Board, we want you to
> bless/rubber stamp Spin Foo".
>
> 2.  "Based on Fedora".  These are spins that have not been blessed by
> the Fedora Board, but which contain Fedora packages and/or 3rd party
> packages that we are not breaking any US laws by referencing.
>
> (3) This is the question Rahul often asks:  Has anything changed with
> regard to the laws that prevent us from mentioning and/or linking to
> certain 3rd party repositories?  I'm not 100% sure what the best way to
> phrase this question is.
>
> Please help me to clarify the items on this list or add others that need
> to be addressed.

Privacy policy http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/PrivacyPolicy. We
need legal to endorse it with any changes necessary.

Logo usage: It would also be nice to get some clear logo guidelines that
doesn't restrict artistic creativity or require explicit permission in
each and every instance. If that is not possible, we would need advise
on using a second logo or mascot.

Legal list. Someone needs to own and maintain
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLegalIssues

Rahul