permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Sep 27 14:52:34 UTC 2007

> That's exactly what I was confused about. My understanding of the CLA is
> that it applies to all contributions including the spec file and hence
> modifying the CLA is not necessary which I agree would be very painful
> to do.

Technically, the CLA says that all of the spec files in Fedora (since
they are contributions) are under the following license:

*****

1. Package License:
In accordance with the Fedora Project Contributor License Agreement,
this package specification is under:

(a) a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up, royalty free,
irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute this
package specification and such derivative works

(b) a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid-up, royalty free,
irrevocable (subject to Section 2) patent license to make, have made,
use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer this package
specification and derivative works thereof, where such license applies
only to those patent claims licensable by the contributor that are
necessarily infringed by this specification alone or by combination of
this specification with the work to which you submitted the
specification. Except for the license granted in this section, the
contributor reserves all right, title and interest in and to the
specification.

2. Reciprocity.
As of the date any such litigation is filed, the contributor's patent
grant shall immediately terminate with respect to any party that
institutes patent litigation against the contributor (including a
cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the
specification constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement.

*****

But wow. That is not what I want every spec file to have to carry. I'd
much rather leverage our right to sublicense, and use the other license
I sent out this morning.

My concern is this: I can't force everyone to sublicense to my license.
The CLA trumps me. Every Fedora contributor has agreed that the above
license applies to their spec file (as a contribution).

~spot