permission to use spec files in other projects (Was Re: clamav)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Sep 27 15:24:48 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 11:10 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 17:01 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > Then copy the corresponding section of the CLA into the section of the
> > EULA or even copy the CLA into the EULA and let it a "spec section refer
> > to the corresponding sections of the CLA".
>
> EULA is what the End user recipient agrees to. Blanket Sub-licensing
> Fedora contributions (spec files) would have to be agreed to by the
> contributors, thus, we'd need to amend the CLA.
I fail to understand this, because

a) The problem of "Fedora spec-file licensing" is a user's problem. I.e.
people not having read nor ever seen the CLA.

b) Contributors all have signed the CLA, so it's your freedom to do with
these contributions (such as the spec files) whatever you want.

I.e. the whole problem condenses to make users aware about the fact that
*.specs are covered by the CLA.

The only possibility I see, is to communicate this CLA to end-users
(Those people being covered by the EULA).

Ralf