Elected/Appointed Board

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 20 20:50:21 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I was just looking over the minutes from the first "town hall" meeting
and read Rahul's question with interest: "Will the Board ever switch
from 5 appointed/4 elected to a majority in the other direction?"

The answer that Paul gave to this didn't seem clear to me, and I was
wondering if a clarification was possible? Paul said:

"-- but this question is academic until and unless Fedora has sponsors
other than Red Hat."

Why does Fedora having [significant] sponsors other than Red Hat make
a difference to the make-up of the board? While I understand that Red
Hat makes significant contributions to Fedora, I'm not sure I
understand why it is correct that the majority of the board and the
chair person with their veto should be appointed by Red Hat.

I have further thoughts on the matter, but would rather not speak them
until I understand other the reasons behind the status-quo better - I
don't want to embarrass myself!

Best wishes,

Jon