Elected/Appointed Board

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 21 19:46:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 13:02 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
>
> >  Correct me if I'm wrong, most of the Red Hat people involved with Fedora
> > are actually community members that just so happen to get a paycheck (good
> > for them, and as it turns out; good for everyone!).
>
> There is also no requirement that the Red Hat-appointed members of the
> board have to be Red Hat employees.  They historically have been,
> however.
>
> There however is, and should be, a requirement that the chair be
> employed by Red Hat (and have veto power).  This is an emergency
> override, like Rahul said, the plane is crashing and calling
> 'Mayday!'.  Not that I think that it ever has been nor ever will be
> utilized, it's something that's important to have in the back pocket.
> As a real world analogy, when I go bicycling, I wear a helmet.  I
> really hope it never will be necessary, but you get piece of mind from
> knowing that it's there in case you need it.

It is also used as a tie-breaker.  We had a tie a few weeks ago over
(*holds breath*) Codeina/Codec Buddy, right there live in IRC, and Paul
had to make the decision.  Not sure how often this happens.  Was his
decision the will of the community just because it potentially aligned
with a portion of them?  Jon is arguing, aiui, "No."

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41