[Fwd: Question: Will Fedora 10 Contain KDE 3.5.10 or Not?]

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Aug 6 13:05:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:27 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> No, they don't want to keep up. Fedora can't keep up either (or else the
> releases would be more ready). To people, who try out Fedora, it becomes
> obvious that alpha releases are not much different from the final release
> and that a promising final release will look like an alpha release any
> time soon after another couple of hundred updates.
>
> > thinking that it doesn't move quickly.
>
> This is only understood partially: the short life-cycle, a new
> distribution release every six months, bleeding-edge software, tons of
> updates already quickly after installation.  What is less obvious is
> that not just the development of the distribution moves forward in
> general, but that all current releases move forward with way too many
> updates, which break stuff that had been working before.

The "too many updates" problem is something I've been trying to word so
that others share my opinion that something is wrong here.  I haven't
been able to effectively communicate what I perceive to be a problem.
Michael, perhaps you can help me describe what the problem is and how we
as a project might be able to guide our contributors in avoiding this
problem.  I too would like to see the Fedora releases return to being
more like stable releases to be trusted and less like rawhide snapshots
to be buried in tonnes of changes.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!