[Fwd: Question: Will Fedora 10 Contain KDE 3.5.10 or Not?]

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:42:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:36 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 06.08.2008 15:05, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:27 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>  >
> > The "too many updates" problem is something I've been trying to word so
> > that others share my opinion that something is wrong here.  I haven't
> > been able to effectively communicate what I perceive to be a problem. [...]
>
> My 2 cent: the number of updates is not the problem. In fact lots of new
> an up2date software without being to bleeding edge (like rawhide) is
> exactly one of the things that make Fedora great imho.
[...snip...]

> Level 1 -- rawhide, similar to how it is today (a bit more stable and
> less breakage would be nice, but that's in the works already)
>
> Level 2pre -- things that got tested in rawhide, that are still young,
> but known to work well in rawhide; similar to what updates-testing for
> F9 is today;
>
> Level 2 -- things that worked fine for some time in 2pre; similar to
> what F9 is today
>
> Level 3pre -- things that worked fine for some time in 2
>
> Level 3 -- things that worked fine for some time in 2pre
>

> Level 3pre and 3 are like F8-updates-testing and F8, but with the
> difference that everything has to be tested and shipped in level 2 (aka
> F9) first.

Interestingly, this is is sort of what Seth Vidal recently did for yum
-- kinks were worked out in upstream and Rawhide, he has done several
useful updates for F-9, and only recently has he bundled it up for an
F-8 update.  Hopefully he'll chime in with his thoughts on this
strategy.

--
Paul W. Frields