Will Fedora 10 Contain KDE 3.5.10 or Not?

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Aug 10 15:34:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 20:12 +0000, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> I was contacted not too long ago for a statement about KDE 4 in Fedora
> 9, and the criticism its developers have received for the changes
> they've made to the platform.  Unfortunately, none of my statement was
> used in the article.  (Too long-winded?)  But here's what I said:

[snip what was said]

As it happens, I made a variation on those statements several times this
week at LinuxWorld from people who experienced problems with KDE 4 in F9
or heard about it.

I then turned to the computer behind me, pulled up
torrent.fedoraproject.org, and pointed out that availability of F10
Alpha live KDE version as I explained the chicken-and-egg situation we
get with testing.

This is independent of how _often_ we update.  We have an evolutionary
situation with the live spins for every Alpha, Beta, and RC that could
translate into increased testing and quality of release.

What I began to think about was a campaign around testing for each
release:

        "Test the five things most important to you in the upcoming
        version of Fedora.

        Whatever you use Fedora for, there are at least five tasks,
        pieces of software, or bundles of tools that are important to
        you.  Use the live images available in Fedora 10 Alpha and Beta
        to test these five items.  You can boot to an entire system or
        in a virtual environment.

        Who knows?  You might find and help get fixed a bug that could
        have made it all the way to the final version, where it would
        annoy you to no end."

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41