Infrastructure update link (LATE)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 21:36:27 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik at greysector.net> wrote:
> On Friday, 22 August 2008 at 21:40, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> Infrastructure report, 2008-08-22 UTC 1200:
>> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-August/msg00012.html
>>
>> I neglected to forward URLs to some other important lists, and apologize
>> profusely for the oversight.
>
> So. Now that we do have a vague idea what happened, I'd like to ask why
> was even that vague information withheld for so long?
>
> Not to mention there are still many unanswered questions:
> Which servers were compromised?
> How did the attacker get in?
> What exactly did they do?
> ...and a bunch of others, but let's begin with those.

The information is probably part of a legal investigation which
basically keeps it from being mentioned until various law enforcement
agencies allow it to be announced. Releasing the information without
clearance from law enforcement means charges of "interfering with an
investigation", "contamination of evidence" etc.. which all have nice
5-20 year sentences.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux