Fedora Remix - Clarification

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 9 20:12:23 UTC 2008

Chris Tyler wrote:

> Rahul,
>
> If you want to call it "Fedora", then make it official.

Oh, believe me. I tried.  I got one of the dozen spins hosted at
http://spins.fedoraproject.org and then it was stopped because of lack
of space or it was considered too much effort for composing all the
different variants or some much. I didn't have the time or energy to go
through the process again for Fedora 10. Now there are folks who are
looking to create local language spins, I think waiting for Fedora 11
(since I can't do it out of band, officially) and going through the same
ordeal is too much overhead especially since it is going to be
bittorrent only and that means no download for quite a few people who
only have bandwidth at the office and corporate policy says no bittorrent.

The only reason was for lack of space or bandwidth to host them. Now
that I have some of that, it is just much easier to bypass the official
process and do it elsewhere. If I have to invent a dozen odd names to
satisfy the trademark requirements, I will but it just seems much more
saner to allow this within the Fedora remix guidelines. It makes my work
easier and makes it easier to give credit to Fedora.

Rahul