Fedora events in 2009

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Sat Dec 20 19:55:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:

> WHAT NEEDS TO STAY THE SAME:
>
> The general method for distributing and spending the "global events and
> swag" is working well, and should continue, in my opinion.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. The system is really performant and
designed to be easy and reliable both for who has to manage the budget
 and for the people who are asking for founds (to sponsor an event). I
think you have created something really precious for the whole project
and I'm sure everyone has to know it :)

> WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE:
>
> In our quest for globalization, I don't want to fall into a trap of saying
> "there are four quarters in the year, and therefore we should do one FUDCon
> per quarter in a different region of the world".

I agree completely!

> As such, I would like to do two things:
>
> (1) Think of the "FUDCon money" in the Fedora budget not as "FUDCon money",
> but rather as "money for premier, Fedora-centric events".

I don't want to say this is not good, but maybe premier could let
someone thinking those events are better than the other by design (at
list from my bad english understanding). BTW, I think the way to
change the name for the FUDCon money is a great idea.  +1 for it

> (2) Create a second kind of Fedora-centric event that can complement
> FUDCons, and allow folks like me, Paul, or regional Ambassador leaders to
> create the sorts of events that are most useful to their region.

Yes, this is genious! I think it really power the community. FADs or,
better, their core principles make clear that people, all together, in
a face-to-face meeting, could improve the results of their work thanks
to the better interaction and a better sync between more brains (a
place, some people, great results). Once again I completely agree with
this proposal.

I think those ideas are straightforward and I'm sure the whole
community could really benefit from the adoption of those ones (your
explanation make me wonder about the powerfulness of those ones).

Thank you Max!

Regards

Francesco Ugolini