Under 18, Wants to contribute

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Feb 4 19:13:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:22:28AM -0500, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 4:27 AM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > this matter turns up quite often, and we should have some standard
> > > answer, hopefully in a positive way. Otherwise everyone will have a
> > > different dealing with this situation and it will often escalate into
> > > f-a-b (which doesn't really resolve this, yet).
> > >
> > > No, I'm not favouring Fedora Child Labour, I'm demanding it! ;)
> >
> > Axel:
> >
> > Yes, this is true.  My concern, to be honest, is that if we start asking
> > questions of the lawyers, we might get back answers. :)
> >
> > For example, what if we get back the answer, "If you are under the age
> > of 18 in the USA, you need a parent's signature"?  Where before we
> > didn't have any such rule, now we have a rule *and* an unknown number of
> > current contributors might be suddenly out of compliance.
>
> Is this safer than turning a blind eye to it, and finding out we can
> be sued later?  I think it would be smarter to ask the lawyers,
> knowing full well that we'll need a sane plan if they say no to anyone
> under 18 without additional paperwork.  It's just one boring chore
> that could save our butts down the road.

Let's take the middle road: Karsten asks the lawyers, and if the
answer is something we don't want to hear he lets the thread silenty
die (and maybe PMs so we don't ask again ;). Otherwise he replies to
it with good news  :)

Promoting Fedora Child Labour, now endorsing half-blind man tactics -
what else will I mutate into these days ...

More seriously I agree with Yaakov, it's better to know where we stand
and how we can make sure we are clean. If we need a signature or a
proxy we can arrange to get one, at least we will have a formal
procedure to point to.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net