Bugzilla permissions - cla_done required?

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 04:14:48 UTC 2008

Bringing up an old topic here that was recently decided in FESCo[1]
and also discussed at FUDCon RDU  - escalating to FAB per request.

As most of you know, I'm leading an effort to relaunch the bug triage
project.  We had decided that cla_done would be a requirement for a
few reasons:

1)  Ability to use items in release notes, documentation, etc.
  a)  Although anyone can make a comment on the bug, only folks in the
'fedorabugs' group in FAS (which maps to fedora_contrib in bugzilla)
can set the fedora_requires_release_note flag.   This gets the bug
special attention from the docs team.
2)  Wiki edit access requirement.  In the future this will be going to
a click-through CLA, which I think is also appropriate for 1.

There's also the argument that signing the CLA is a (minor) technical
hurdle for new triagers to overcome.  While this is valuable, I also
think that other things could be used in it's place (open to
suggestions here) to demonstrate technical ability.

The argument that came to light, and was discussed on
fedora-devel-list[2] that FAS requires "too much" personal information
(i.e. home address, phone number, etc) in order to sign up for an
account and sign the CLA.  Access to bugzilla is controlled via FAS,
therefore, without an FAS account, access to triage bugs is a
non-starter.

So the question here is whether cla_done is required in order to
belong to the 'fedorabugs' group in FAS?  My vote is 'yes' for the
reasons listed above for now, revisit with FAS2, as was decided at
FESCo.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meeting-20080124
[2] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg03034.html