LWN Subscriptions for Fedora contributors.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 20:30:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Francesco Ugolini
<fugolini at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>  As i said before the maximum number of awarded ambassadors are 8, so
>  if you agree with this proposal we can distribute with such initiative
>  8 subscriptions to the people FAmSCo will choose: it would give those
>  subscription more value.

Actually we'd very much love it if individual subprojects had
performance periods and performancs metrics, that we could attempt to
provide awards for in a timely manner.  Does Max and Greg know about
your 6 month period of performance?  I didn't know about it.

I'd love to have a model of performance and awards, that could be
budgeted for, such that each subproject had a performance metric that
made sense for them, and then we stagger the performance periods such
that different subprojects came up for awards in different months.  So
we could attempt to have a 'small' quarterly/yearly budget for
performance recognition that was easy to plan for.

This is one of the reason why I'm really interesting in helping
generate subproject metrics, so we can track performance in a fair way
that makes sense for that subproject.  We can't easily compare package
maintainers to document writers or ambassadors. But if each subgroup
had its own metric we could trend growth/stagnation for that subgroup
as well as create some valid recognition opportunities for
individuals.

But what we do not want to do is attempt to do come up with a just to
justify how we give out a little swag that just happened to fall in
our lap.   As in the case of this LWN situation.  I'd like to do this
again in a year, and give subscriptions out based on merit..but we
need to have multiple subprojects generating internally agreed-on
performance metrics to be able to do it.  So.... contributors in
different subproject, think real hard about it.  Can each major
subproject create an agreed on performance metric that we can have in
place to start tracking starting at the beginning of the F10 testing?

-jef