Fedora account restrictions

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 22:16:33 UTC 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 11:48 AM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> We can't guarantee that the real name won't become publically known.
> What are the repercussions if the name _does_ somehow become
> publically known, against the contributor's wishes?

I don't know if there are repercussions in any legal sense... but if
there are... then surely information like physical address and phone
number are already covered by those legalities.
In for a penny... in for a pound.

What I'm really not seeing, is the downside of holding a contributor's
real name as privileged information in the same way we hold their
phone number if requested?  Even if there is no legal requirement to
do so, this can certainly fall into the 'not being an ass' when it
comes to managing the personal information of minors.

If you wanted to set a bar to meet to keep these types or requests low
in number, then I would go further and say that any contributor
requesting to have their real name hidden in fas, would need to find
another contributor with a non-hidden name who will vouch for them. If
something goes wrong, then that non-hidden contributor and all the
hidden-name contributors being vouched for lose access.  With a policy
like this we could have a highschool or middleschool teacher with a
non-hidden real name vouch for a group of students they personally
know.

-jef