Fedora account restrictions

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 16:26:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 12:16 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> So in some ways, we reward dishonesty and punish  honesty. I am not
> sure there is a solution to this that isnt worse than the present.

For some reason this rankles.  I guess you are right that in any body of
people, a certain percentage may be there by deception, and it's likely
that >1 contributors to Fedora spend their other time in some nefarious
activity.  Not sure I would term it "reward(ing) dishonesty".  We don't
apply an honesty filter to incoming contributors.  Our systems permit
anonymity, regardless of our intention.

Human conventions create these gray areas.  Sets of rules or ideals come
into conflict and there is no easy, possible, or logical solution.
Someone in such a situation who reacts in a moral way for the good of
the community might have to do something that is, on the fact of it,
dishonest.  But is it morally reprehensible?

Anyway, as you say, there doesn't seem to be a way out that isn't worse.

--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org