[Fwd: Re: Eeedora (Fedora + Eee PC) - hosting question?]

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 28 20:11:52 UTC 2008

On 28.01.2008 20:44, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:34:44 +0530
>> Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> Someone should contact the folks behind eeedora and see if we can
>>> coordinate and merge back changes. Anyone interested?
>> It should be the other way around really.
> +1, fwiw

-1, fwiw

Sure, agreed, in a ideal world it would be the other way around. But
this is no ideal world and "just doing you own thing/fork" is a lot
easier and gives you all the credit.  But that's what lead to > 500
linux distributions instead of four of five distributions flavors (like
RH/Fedora/Centos, Novell, Debian/Ubuntu, Something, Else) doing things
right and in a flexible way.

If we want Fedora to run on most modern systems and the "Eee PCs" (do
we?) then we need to help those people finding their way into the Fedora
project to get their improvements back upsteam (upstream being us in
this case). That helps both sides and leads to a better product and less
work for everyone in the end.

In my experience it only works "the other way around" if the hurdles to
give improvements back are dead low -- like the are in wikipedia for
example. And face it, we have high hurdles for new contributers. Without
help from existing and well known long Fedora contributers its likely
totally impossible to get non-upstream drivers into our kernel packages
(and this is actually needed in this case). Thus someone IHO needs to do
a hand holding job here, like Rahul suggested.

Cu
knurd