draft proposal for large additions of code into Fedora

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 19:07:29 UTC 2008

> On Jan 30, 2008 9:45 AM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Honestly, I stand by what I thought at the time -- branding the
> > Directory Server as Fedora wasn't the best idea.  It's somewhat (but not
> > really, because DS has a pretty low awareness level) confused the
> > "Fedora as an OS" message.  I think it's also had a negative impact on
> > FDS being included in other distros, although that's harder to verify.
> >
> > Also, given Fedora's trademark guidelines, it's a little funky having
> > some random software project named Fedora Foo.  I'm not really sure how
> > it starts to factor in when people start patching, etc.
>
> Is there another namespace...non-trademarked space..that we can
> suggest people use for this sort of thing?

Not that I know of.  And therein lies the problem.  Product naming is
Hard (tm).

[snip]
> Perhaps its a simple as requiring projects have a existing brand
> neutral project name, but we allow them to use a tag like:
>  "Brought to you by the Fedora project", or "A Fedora Project snafu"

*shrug*  if someone wants to point out that the project is
hosted/supported/driven forward by work within Fedora, that's fine, but
I'm not sure what a "brought to you by Fedora" really brings.  But I
could just be missing something

Jeremy