Board term limits

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 15:43:44 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 08:25 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> >> Comments appreciated either here or in the discussion page for the
> >> proposal on the wiki.  I'll bring this before the Board for final
> >> discussion and a vote at our August 5th session, which will likely be
> >> a public IRC meeting.
>
> Is there a compelling reason to make the non-eligible period a full
> term?  It increases the record keeping needed to tell when someone is
> eligible vs " the Board member becomes ineligible to run in the next
> election.  Their eligibility is restored for the election following that."

Compelling, no.  Rational, I think so -- the extra lag time leaves more
time for other people to be elected since there are two or three seats
turning over at each release.  I should note that this policy somewhat
codifies the suggestion of a couple other Board members, so I'm not
wedded to it as is.  If the community thinks a one-release "cooling off
period" is appropriate, I'm fine with that.

The overall objective is to make sure that interested, qualified
community members who can't spend the majority of their time working on
Fedora, can still be competitive in our elections.

--
Paul W. Frields