Tracking contributions

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 01:10:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> I missed most of this thread, but I felt like I should point out this
> post
> http://taschenorakel.de/mathias/2007/12/22/no-privacy-foss-developers/
> as an example that not everyone is happy to be measured, monitored and
> tracked around the clock. Maybe thats an old-fashioned sentiment in this
> time and day...

Clearly the discussion is focusing on the wrong thing. I've no desire
to mandate the minute by minute activity of all contributors be
tracked. We do not need that level of granularity for resource
planning.  Voluntary details of individual contributor activities
would certainly help if we we talking about building a competitive
recognition system..but that's is not what we are talking about doing.
 I am not talking about collecting trending information in a way that
directly compares the value of individual contributions.  I'm talking
about making an effort to collect information on a subgroup impact and
growth for overall project planning purposes so we can have more
information to work with for resource planning and perhaps to get
ahead of bottlenecks in subgroup interactions..   I've no desire to
mandate to subgroups what specific metric to trend. I'd much rather
prefer that individual subgroups tell me what metric to trend.  What I
need is for individual subgroups to value the value of trending the
work they are doing as a group so they will incorporate a metric that
is relevant into their workflow.

-jef