Fedora Board election results

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 19:41:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:17 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Which is why you ask the community, at large, "Why didn't you vote?"
>
> Here are two reasons.
>
> I find the whole self-nomination process distasteful. While I
> understand this is normal in some cultures it is very alien to other
> cultures. It seems obvious to me that there are competent and willing
> members who will not self-nominate and I don't understand why Fedora
> insists they be excluded from the process. I would prefer there be a
> way for community members to nominate quality people they know and
> those nominated in this way could accept or decline such a nomination.
> Others could nominate themselves if they wish to.

I can agree with this also. Where I was raised, a person who nominated
themselves was the worst person to run something.

> Range voting is another aspect of the process I find discouraging in
> general. Suppose I know 3 of 10 candidates personally (at least I've
> had direct interactions with a small subset of the candidates). The
> other 7 candidates I perhaps know some by reputation and don't know
> some at all. By what rational process am I supposed to assign votes to
> the entire slate of candidates? Honestly I feel like what my vote ends
> up being is fairly random data and is  as likely to distort the
> process to the detriment of some candidate I don't know and don't want
> to penalize as it is to elect the candidates I might prefer.

I can agree with that also. Yes I have read the logical explanation,
and my math friends say that it is valid.. but it just doesn't feel
right. I would prefer a simple vote for 8 (or none of the above) in
the first round, and 4 (or none of the above) in the second. Probably
a lot less fair, but easier for my poor socially impaired brain to
deal with.

> So my choice to not vote was not made out of contentment with current
> leadership, not made out of apathy, not made out of being happy with
> the entire slate of candidates, but rather it was not made out of
> frustration with the voting process.
>
> John

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux