Fedora Board election results

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jun 25 05:50:29 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 24 June 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:02:04 -0400 (EDT), Max Spevack wrote:
> > What else would you like to see from Red Hat to prove that it takes
> > Fedora and community seriously?  I'm not trolling, I really want to
> > konw, so that I can work on making it happen.
>
> What I mean is that almost all Fedora related decisions come out of Red
> Hat anyway. The few +1 from community seats during FPB meetings don't
> matter, do they? They are just noise. It gets more interesting if a
> community rep drives something forward. Or if there is disagreement
> between Red Hat's FPB members and community reps or lobbyists. If
> necessary, do the people on the community seats have the guts to represent
> the community's interests? If they don't, what about accountability?

Well  I for one am a community member and I am driving forward Secondary
arches.  Ive had some but limited help from inside RH.  I quite often
disagreed with things  and was vocal in doing so.  I also agreed with things.
I made decisions based on what I felt was best for fedora.  I am not always as
vocal as others about what it is that I am working on.  While I am no longer
on the board i will continue to do the work that I do and be vocal in support
and disagreement with decisions as I see them.

> The financial investments you refer to only add to the fact of how big Red
> Hat's stake in the Fedora Project is. No budget increase, no growth. No
> people working on Fedora full-time, no growth. The project is still young
> and must grow. Hence Red Hat is forced to find a balance between pursuing
> its own business goals with Fedora and opening up further to increase the
> community's investment in Fedora, which is still poor. As you can see
> whenever a long-time contributor or user leaves disgruntled. The decision
> to leave is too easy. Voting community reps is a nice gimmick, but doesn't
> result in power.

by sitting on the sidelines and not being active you are ensuring that the
power remains where it is.  Ive certainly had times where I am frustrated and
not happy with whats going on.  Fedora today is much more open and transparent
than it has been at any time in its past.  The road ahead is more openness and
transparency.

> It's still too early to say we have a large pool of community reps to draw
> from for FPB seats. A growing number of contributors, yes, but only very
> few with interest in [project] politics, project management, and the
> additional time requirements.
The last year has certainly been an enjoyable and rewarding experience.  I
hope that the Fedora community thinks that I represented them well.   If not
then I ask that people tell me what I could have done better.

--
Dennis Gilmore