Fedora, Red Hat, and the community

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 12:38:25 UTC 2008

The recent Board discussion highlights that despite efforts to the
contrary, there is still a Us vs. Them mentality in Fedora when it comes
to the community and Red Hat.  Rather than write out a very long and
preachy email about why that shouldn't be, I'm going to take a different
approach.

Below are a series of questions that will hopefully help me get an
understanding about why people feel this way.  If you care, please
answer them.  Until we, Red Hat and the community, act as a whole
coherent project we are going to continue to stumble in areas we really
shouldn't be.

So let's clear the air:

1) Are there examples of where Red Hat is stifling growth or limiting
exploration of topics in Fedora?  Please provide clear examples and
evidence of such (mailing list posts, etc).

2) In recent history (past 2 years), has Red Hat done anything you
consider to be detrimental to the Fedora project?  Please provide clear
evidence.

3) If you have concerns about Red Hat's corporate sponsorship of Fedora,
what are those?

I'm sure there are other questions that can be asked, but these seem to
cover most of the concerns I've seen so far.

josh