Fedora Board election results

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 18:16:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:06 -0400, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Christopher Aillon wrote:
> >
> >> Honestly, I strongly think the current board makeup hurts Red Hat more
> >> than it hurts Fedora, because there really isn't much insight into
> >> RHEL, or JBoss, etc. on the board.
> >
> > Imo, the RH interests you mention would be much better served being
> > involved in other areas (FESCo, packaging, marketing), which lies
> > *outside* of the board.
>
> There's some truth to that.  RHEL engineers should be involved with
> FESCo/FPC.  Red Hat marketing should be involved with Fedora Marketing.
>   But for the Board which is more "big picture" type stuff, we want
> product/project management to have some say in the big picture.
>
> The Board is definitely not where technical discussions are had.  That
> should be handled by FESCo or something other than the board.  The times
> the Board has tried to make technical decisions in the past have turned
> out poorly, and my instinct says it's not likely to happen again in the
> future.

There is a by-weekly call between various Red Hat (RHEL)
engineering/product managers and various Fedora resources within Red
Hat.  This call is to keep everybody up to speed on what's going on and
the thoughts of the two groups.  No actual decisions are made there,
information is gathered for other decision making meetings.

This is to say that having RHEL folks on the board is not necessary to
keep the RHEL product/engineering managers Consulted and Informed
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RACI_diagram )

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!