Fedora Board election results

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 19:14:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 20:44 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:20:41 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 17:19 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > >
> > > In this vote, my criteria has been (in decreasing importance):
> > > * Not being @RH, because I wanted to see the community strengthened in
> > > this already @RH-predominated FPB and therefore don't see much reason
> > > into adding more @RHs.
> >
> > Do you feel that every Red Hat employee is the same person, and that we
> > all have the same opinions and ideals?  Is our getting a paycheck from
> > Red Hat somehow make us less interested in seeing Fedora be the greater
> > good for the greater community?  Is there no way to get past this
> > prejudice ?
>
> At this point I could only shake my head in disbelief.
> "Prejudice"??? No, certainly not. People like Ralf are long enough
> part of the community to vote based on personal experience.
>
> I'm close to being convinced that it is not language barriers that cause
> misunderstandings in discussions like this. What is it then? It's a
> completely different line of thinking coupled with frayed nerves.

So if it isn't a language thing...

All that I can see here is a reluctance to vote for any person who may
happen to work for Red Hat, regardless of group or duty.  The conclusion
I jump to is that by not wanting to vote for these people, they are
somehow less qualified for the job, or less likely to do a good job than
somebody else.  It seems that the reasons given aren't specific to the
individual, just the generic label of being a Red Hat employee.  That's
what I take offense to, or at least sadness to.

I honestly hoped that people would be voting due to individual concerns
rather than paycheck signers.  Did I get voted in because I work for Red
Hat?  I certainly hope not, but at the same time I would certainly hope
that somebody else /wouldn't/ get voted in next time just because
they /do/ work for Red Hat.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!