Fedora Board election results

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 22:47:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 20:44 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 13:20:41 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 17:19 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > >
> > > In this vote, my criteria has been (in decreasing importance):
> > > * Not being @RH, because I wanted to see the community strengthened in
> > > this already @RH-predominated FPB and therefore don't see much reason
> > > into adding more @RHs.
> >
> > Do you feel that every Red Hat employee is the same person, and that we
> > all have the same opinions and ideals?  Is our getting a paycheck from
> > Red Hat somehow make us less interested in seeing Fedora be the greater
> > good for the greater community?  Is there no way to get past this
> > prejudice ?
>
> At this point I could only shake my head in disbelief.
> "Prejudice"??? No, certainly not. People like Ralf are long enough
> part of the community to vote based on personal experience.

Sounds exactly like the definition of prejudice.  He has prejudged the
worthiness of a candidate based on employer.  Doesn't matter how much
personal experience he has.

> I'm close to being convinced that it is not language barriers that cause
> misunderstandings in discussions like this. What is it then? It's a
> completely different line of thinking coupled with frayed nerves.

Perhaps you are right.  I react when I detect unwarranted prejudice
against Red Hat -- over the years, there have been HUGE negative
reaction to Red Hat in many, many, many community circles.  In my
experience, greater negative reaction than any other single entity
outside of RMS.

However, my overwhelming experience is different.  Experience as someone
who came from outside-with-an-attitude-against-Red Hat (ask any ex-VA
Linux person what we thought about Red Hat.)  Experience talking with
hundreds who made that transition from competitor/customer/community to
employee over the last six+ years I've been @redhat.com.  None say,
"Boy, this place really is a blood sucking leach on the community."  All
say, "Wow, the prejudice against Red Hat is often unwarranted."

As long as this knee-jerk prejudice is shown in debates, there will be
knee-jerk responses.  That cycle will devolve the discussion along
predictable lines.

- Karsten, jerk!
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41