Draft Proposal: Spin Submission and Approval Process

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 20:11:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>  > This draft covers how new spins will be developed and released.  It
>  > does not yet cover the issue of updated spins which incorporate
>  > updated packages.
>
>  How/when are you planning on handling that?

I'm really not keen on handing down a detailed theoretical process
from the Board concerning spin updates, assuming we know what the
problems will be. I'm pretty sure there will be problems and I'm
pretty sure that if we engineer a detailed process now it will solve
the wrong ones.

The original spin process proposal allows for updates to be proposed
as frequently as one month.  I haven't heard any feedback from releng
as to whether or not this is going to be a theoretical problem.  But
until we have an update on the table to argue about I don't see the
point in trying to be more specific.   I pretty much assume the first
spin update will cause problems and frustrations and we'll burn that
bridge when we come to it.

> Your proposal doesn't seem
>  to address the question of whether hosting for all accepted spins will
>  be provided by the Fedora Project.

Sorry, it was implied that any spin that releng selects as part of
"Release Selection" during each release period is going to have equal
access to central hosting.  So infrastructure tells us how much room
we have for spins early in the release runup process. The becomes a
hard limit on the number of spin images that can be hosted as part of
the next Fedora release (including potential updates...which we can
leave some estimated room for even if we don't how we are gonna do the
updates yet). Releng makes release selection decisions such that the
hard space limit is not violated, but is under no obligation to use
all available space available.

(And if I can get more people than jwb to agree to it... then the
Board has the option to champion one spin per release period beyond
those selected by releng. Though that's not in the draft because its
an extra complication that can be discussed once we have consensus on
what release selection process will look like. It doesn't
fundamentally change how this should work, but it keeps future Boards
invested in the release process.)

-jef