Proposal: Fedora at Home Project

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 00:29:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 14:16 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Bryan Che <bche at redhat.com> wrote:
> >  I think we should start with Fedora infrastructure needs and then expand
> >  to other computational problems.  Getting it right first for Fedora will
> >  give us a good foundation for adding other projects.
>
> I'm not sure I have a good grasp on where we could reasonably employ
> grids that benefits any ongoing internal work. My understanding is
> that we aren't straining our existing buildhost infrastructure, so its
> not clear there is a need here to farm out builds and then send the
> binaries back over the wire.  Do we have an internal need identified
> that could leverage a grid of cpu time?  I'm not even sure I remember
> seeing anyone complain yet.  Maybe there's a real interesting case for
> this for secondary arches...if we had cross compiler tools so idle
> client pc time could be use to help build arm/sparc/etc packages. I'm
> just not sure we've got an interesting internal need for idle cpu
> cycles.

I mentioned something like this in preliminary discussions with Bryan,
so yeah, this could be possible.  There are some security details that
would probably be pretty hairy to figure out -- not the least of which
is, how do you keep someone who owns a CPU as root from messing with
your builds or data? -- but who knows, it might be possible.

> I see this being more interesting as a way to have Fedora as a
> community interact with outside computing efforts. Off the top of my
> head, let's say we had this infrastructure up and running. Could we
> reach out to the blender community and work with them by offering the
> Fedora grid to help render scenes of another community funded animated
> film?

That's such a good idea, you get a hug.