The Debian/Ubuntu SSL bug

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue May 13 18:45:29 UTC 2008

So I've been having a conversation with Mark Cox about the Debian/Ubuntu
SSL bug.  This is basically a horror story of what can go wrong when
packagers don't maintain close relationships with upstream.  I asked Mark,
"what security policies do we have in place to keep this from happening in
Fedora-land?"  And his response was, "I don't know, what security policies
do we have in place to keep this from happening in Fedora-land?"

We know that RHEL is secure and stable, and we *do* have safeguards in
place to prevent this from happening in RHEL-land.  But a mistake like
this in Fedora-land would be every bit as bad for the Red Hat and Fedora
brands.

Are there any steps we can take to protect ourselves from this kind of
mistake -- in which a packager does something dumb to the package and no
one notices it?

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg